The name “Green Glens” is derived from the title of a favourite song of Noel C’s – “The Green Glens of Antrim;” an appropriate title for the exquisite setting located in Millstreet parish, in the barony of Duhallow, in the County of Cork, in the heart of Munster!
The 40 shades of green magically changing into various shades of russet golden colour in Autumn have enchanted tens of thousands of visitors over the past 30 years.
Since 1973, the Green Glens has gradually grown and developed into a truly magnificent international venue; playing host to events including the 1993 Eurovision Song Contest, world boxing, Disney on Ice, concerts, political events, conventions, agricultural shows and Horse Shows.
Equestrian Events that Millstreet has hosted include:
• European Junior Championships (Show-Jumping) (1980)
• European Pony Championships (Show-Jumping) (1981)
• European Pony Championships (Dressage, Eventing, Show-Jumping) (1989)
• European Pony Championships (Dressage, Eventing, Show-Jumping) (2014)
• European Young Rider Championships (Show-Jumping) (1994)
• European Jumping Championships (Young Riders, Juniors & Children on Horses) (2016)
• European Eventing Championships (Young Riders & Juniors) (2017)
• 9 World Cup Qualifiers (Show-Jumping) (1992 – 2000)
• FEI Eventing Nations Cup Series – Irish leg (2018)
• World IURCA Championships (Inter-varsity)
• Millstreet International Horse Show (CSI***) (each August)
The Green Glens Arena is the largest of its kind in Europe and is equipped with the finest of modern facilities including:
• 8 All-Weather Jumping Arenas
• 8 All-Weather Warm-Up Arenas
• 3 Indoor Arenas
• 1500 stables on the show grounds
• Free parking for 1000 horse boxes
• Sites for 200 caravans, motor homes etc.
• Sites for trade stands (indoors and outdoors)
Described as the ‘Shop Window for Irish Sport Horses,’ The Green Glens Arena is a showcase for the best of Ireland’s horses, ponies, showjumpers and event horses.
In 2014, work started on the construction of a state of the art Cross Country track on the grounds of the adjoining Drishane Castle. The appointment of internationally renowned designer Mike Etherington-Smith created great excitement ahead of the hosting of the 2014 FEI European Championships for Ponies which received global acclaim. The following year, the venue went on to host its inaugural International Horse Trials at CIC (short-format) level. The event attracted riders from 7 nations and riders and their connections were full of praise for the new 2* and 3* courses that had been added to the existing facility. Millstreet went on to host long-format competition the following year and in 2018 hosted the Irish leg of the FEI Eventing Nations Cup Series.
The Cross Country at Millstreet in Ireland would have to rank amongst the best presented tracks worldwide. Spectacular water features, bold timber and superb footing meant horses just grew in confidence the further they went.”
BLYTH TAIT (NZL), Olympic & International Event Rider
This has gone above everything we imagined. It’s the most beautifully detailed cross-country course I have ever come across and it was so good to be able to work and jump the horses on all-weather surfaces.”
JESSE CAMPBELL (NZL), International Event Rider
The course is beautifully presented in the most stunning location. It’s the best I’ve ever seen and has championship written all over it.”
NICK GAUNTLETT (GBR), International Event Rider