National 4 & 5yo Eventing Discovery (2)
General Information & Conditions
Millstreet Intl CSI2* Intl Show 2023
Qualifier: Wednesday August 16th
Final (top 6 of each age group) Saturday August 19th. (Time and location subject to change)
Prize fund of €10,000
The Duggan Family have a long-standing commitment to the production of young horses – be they for show jumping or eventing. Initiatives such as the young Irelander and National Discovery classes have formed a core element of the schedule at the annual International Horse show for over thirty years!
This weekend we are proud to offer producers of younger horses the opportunity to showcase their four- and five-year-old horses in front of an International Audience. Open to four- and five-year-olds the aim of this class is to showcase the Irish Bred and produced horses that have the temperament and ability to become commercial three-day event horses.
The judges look for an athletic, loose moving horse with a promising jumping technique and attitude. With correct training and production, these horses should develop physically and mentally into a strong three-day eventer.
Format: Two judges will observe and mark horses in each arena. They will award marks for conformation, movement, canter & gallop, natural technique/temperament, scope/agility & 5* potential for a total of 100 marks.
Horses will enter the arena from the pocket and proceed to do a quick demonstration of trot and walk. The judges will sound a bell where the competitor will proceed to jump a course of 8-10 obstacles (mix of show jumps and cross country fences). Following the final obstacle, competitors are invited to gallop a lap of the arena to demonstrate this pace before exiting the arena again.
General info & rules include but are not limited to:
– Showjumping/hacking jacket, white/beige breeches, shirt/stock and full riding boots to be worn.
– Bib no’s are to be collected from the event office prior to the competition.
-Protective Headgear to be worn as per Eventing Ireland Rules which means it must be tagged before participating.
-Approved body protector are enocuraged to be worn for the jumping phase.
-Tack as per Eventing Ireland Rules
-Only snaffle bridles with permitted with approved bits are allowed
-Hind leg boots or bandages are not permitted, only overreach boots.
-Whips & Spurs are permitted as per eventing Ireland rules.
-The competition will run in drawn order.
-Please have passports at hand at all times when on site. Passports must be available to all competition officials/veterinarians on request before during and after the competition.
Condition of entry
To be eligible to compete in either age group the following applies:
- All horses must be of a registered Studbook with the sire and dam named on their passport. Passports must be available to the Organising Committee at any stage of the competition or while on the grounds of Green Glens Arena.
- 5 year old mares that have bred a registered foal are eligible to be adjudicated in the 4 year old category. Photocopies for foal registration must be submitted at time of entry.
- 6 year old mares that have bred a registered foal are eligible to be adjudicated in the 5 year old category. Photocopies for foal registration must be submitted at time of entry.
- An Embryo Transfer donor mare, that has not biologically bred and reared a foal, is not eligible for the derogation.
- All horses must be entered via www.millstreet.horse before August 9th
- Breeding will be recorded on official event startlist. It is the responsibility of the horse owner/rider to ensure all appropriate information is accurately submitted at the time of entry, the OC will publish the information given at the time of entry.
- Each class will be limited to 30 competitors per class. If maximum entry is reached a waitlist will be opened and operated on a first come first served basis. Entries will close on August 9th unless maximum number is reached before that time.
- Substitution of rider: Can be made up to 48 hours before the commencement of class.
- Riders are confined to 3 entries across both age categories. Additional entries may be considered if it will not alter the efficiency of the class.
- The height of a horse must be 15.0 hands (153 cm) or over.
- Minimum age of riders – 16 years old on January 1st 2023.
- 4 year old category: Max of 105cm
- 5 year old category: Max of 110cm