Connollys Red Mills GBI Tour 2013
The 2013 Connolly’s RED MILLS Great Britain and Ireland Tour 2013 was launched on Friday 5th April 2013 at the Green Glens Arena in Millstreet, Co. Cork, Ireland. The Irish venue will host the final of the Tour in August. The initiative was the brain child of Robert Fagan of Mullingar Equestrian Centre and the first tour in 2012 was very successful, offering a prize fund of €5000 to the leading rider. Anna Edwards (GBR) was the Leading Rider on that occasion, winning by just one point from Joe Clayton (GBR).
Four shows were involved in the tour in 2012: Mullingar International, the Royal Highland Show, the British Masters and Millstreet International. The series has been extended to five venues for 2013 with the addition of Chepstow International Horse Show and the prize-fund for the leading riders has been increased to €10,000. €7,000 of this will go to the leading rider, €2,000 to the runner-up and there will also €1,000 for the leading Under-25 rider of the series.
Robert Fagan (Director of Mullingar Equestrian Centre and the man behind the GBI Tour concept) feels that “this type of tour is essential for both Irish and English riders as it offers such fantastic prize money at six of the best shows on the British and Irish show-jumping circuit.” The riders who competed in the tour last year are in agreement that the prize fund together with the additional award for the leading rider under 25 years of age make the Connolly’s RED MILLS GBI Tour an important part of their 2013 competition schedule.
Venues and Dates for the Connolly’s RED MILLS Great GBI Tour 2013 are as follows:
- Chepstow International Horse Show CSI 2* May 2nd – 5th (David Broome Event Centre,Wales)
- Mullingar Country Fayre and International Horse Show CSI 2* May 31st – June 3rd (Mullingar Equestrian Centre, Ireland)
- Royal Highland Show June 20th – 23rd (Edinburgh, Scotland)
- British Masters Showjumping Southview CSI 3* July 4th to 7th (Southview Arena, England)
- Millstreet International Horse Show CSI 3* August 15th – 18th (Green Glens Arena, Ireland)
- The Connolly’s RED MILLS GBI Tour 2013 consists of four legs and a final.
- The rider will accumulate points if placed in the top 9 of each Grand Prix. In the eventuality of a rider being in the lineup twice, only the highest placed result will be taken into account. Additional results in the same Grand Prix will be discounted.
- Points Allocated at each leg of the tour will be as follows:
- 1st – 12 points, 2nd – 10 points, 3rd – 9 points, 4th – 8 points, 5th – 7 points, 6th – 6 points, 7th – 5 points, 8th – 4 points and 9th – 3 points. If one competes in the Grand Prix but is not in the line-up 2 points will be allocated. Points-and-a-half will be awarded at the Grand Final at Millstreet CSI 3* International.
- Where the winning rider competes in four of the five shows they will receive 80% of the prize fund. In the event that the winning rider competes in three of the five shows they will receive 75% and similarly competing in two shows or less will guarantee the winner 50% of the prize fund.
- The greater the number of legs of the series one competes in the larger the prize fund there is to be won.
- Sponsors request that the winning rider must compete in the final at Millstreet to win.
- Total Prize fund is €10,000
- 1st = €7,000
- 2nd = €2,000
- Additional prize of €1,000 for the highest placed Under-25 year old rider as of 1/1/2013 in the Tour.